The Carnet ATA facilitates international trade by streamlining documentation and lowering transaction costs.
Several customs documents typically required for transit, temporary export, and temporary import are replaced by the Carnet ATA (Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission), allowing foreign commercial enterprises to operate tax-free. This process makes it possible, among other things, to take part in salons, present product samples, or use professional, scientific, or educational equipment. The ATA Carnet may be used to cover the temporary importation of goods into trade with parties to the ATA of Brussels (1961) and/or the Istanbul Convention (1990).
DocShipper Advice : You want to import goods temporarily ? Do not hesitate to contact us, our transport service will allow you to choose the best option for this freight
What does a temporary import mean?
You take part in a meeting, an exhibition, or a sporting event. You want to show commercial prototypes or samples to your foreign clients. You meet up with someone in another country to shoot a movie or a documentary? You have a renovation project outside of Europe.
These scenarios are all examples of temporary importing. This specific customs policy relates to goods that are imported for a brief period of time into a customs zone before being returned to the state.
This temporary importation calls for particular steps. Furthermore, you must notify the customs offices of the relevant countries of the duties and taxes associated with these products. For each country you visit, you must also complete administrative paperwork. All of these could result in difficulties, delays, or unexpected costs that you wouldn't want to experience.
What benefits does the ATA carnet offer ?
A trustworthy passport for your goods, the ATA carnet will greatly simplify your life.
Your customs clearance will be easier initially since all the information that could be needed about you is contained on a single document. Due to the elimination of certain administrative procedures both during importation and reexportation, it will also be quicker.
The one-of-a-kind guarantee offered by the ATA, which is valid internationally, is also preferable to the collection of guarantees that should be obtained in each country visited. Finally, the ATA carnet enables temporary exportation that is less risky and free of the challenges that may arise when trying to retrieve the deposit made upon entry into a country.
Several ATA examples:
A carnet ATA for the Winter Olympics in Beijing:
Following approval from the organizing committee and Chinese customs, the China Chamber of International Commerce (CCOIC) published a guide on using ATA carnets for merchandise headed for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.
A project ATA for the United Kingdom:
You are increasingly more likely to use the ATA carnet to ship your goods to the United Kingdom.
ending ATA carnets for Brazil on January 1, 2022:
As of January 1st 2022, there will no longer be an organization guaranteeing the use of ATA carnets in Brazil, and this will have an impact on their use.
- A Carnet ATA is valid for a period of twelve months.
- Online orders for the ATA carnet can be placed at the ITA.
- The cost of the ATA carnet varies and is based on a number of factors
- The list of nations that recognize the ATA card is always changing (cf. list of countries that accept or reject the ATA carnet).
- Except for Metropole operations, no intracommunity transactions require the use of the ATA carnet. DROM-COM or other transfers across jurisdictions with different taxation
The way the ATA carnet works
This ATA carnet must be issued by organizations that are guaranteed and affiliated with the W.C.F. , a global network of guarantee.
They are issued in France by the Paris Chamber of Commerce and Industry (directly or through the local chambers of commerce), which acts as the transaction's guarantee with regard to customs.
The operator must obtain the prints required for the constitution of the carnet from the appropriate business chambers.
The use of the ATA constitutes legitimate customs operations, and as such, requires that certain documentation, such as those pertaining to health and safety, phytosanitization, military equipment, the Washington Convention, BDU, and other regulations, be shown.
DocShipper Advice : Advice Docshipper: Do you want to temporarily or permanently relocate to another country? Do not hesitate to contact us for a free online moving estimate so that you can benefit from our support during your move.
The ATA carnet description
The A4-sized form is made up of the following:
- the international chain of guarantee information, the association's identification number, the expiration date of the carnet (limited to one year), the signature of the holder of the carnet and his representative, the intended use of the merchandise, and the confirmation of the departure country's customs officials when the carnet was taken into their possession (verification of the merchandise, registration of the merchandise).
- information about the goods for which the carnet is being issued (order number, commercial designation, number, weight, value (commercial value))...
- containing a yellow encart and yellow sheets gathering the formalities related to temporary export and import.
- for temporary entry and repatriation operations, a white encart and white filing sheets.
- containing a blue encart and blue sheets of paper that group the transportation operations.
The conditions for delivery
A carnet ATA may only be issued to a single holder , who must meet the requirements to be eligible for the temporary entry or exportation program given the nature of the intended operation (which is stated on the back of the carnet's cover).
The physical person using the ATA carnet on their behalf may act in place of the holder.
In the event of an obstruction, the designated representative may be replaced by a third party, so long as the latter presents a procuration indicating that she is acting on behalf of the holder.
In the same circumstances, the holder also has the option of turning to a licensed commissionnaire or licensed transporter.
The use of the ATA carnet for temporary admission operations
There isn't an entire list of products that can be included on an ATA carnet. However, merchandise that has recently undergone an overhaul or repair cannot be repurchased on an ATA carnet.
DocShipper info : You're hesitant to start an online business. Please feel free to read the essay we've written on the subject and get in touch with us for further details.
Permitted reasons for use
- professional equipment
- containers, palettes, packaging, merchandize, and other items used in connection with a commercial operation
- goods imported as part of a production process
- goods imported for educational, scientific, or cultural purposes
- traveler's personal effects and merchandise brought in for sporting purposes
- tourism promotion materials
- merchandise brought in through border crossings
- merchandise brought in for humanitarian purposes transportation methods
- products imported with partial suspension of import duties and charges
Specific requirements must be met for each of these motives in order to receive full exoneration. For instance, the professional equipment must only be used by the person who is returning to the country of importation or under their own supervision.
If the destination country abides by one of the treaties governing the ATA, the carnet may be used for temporary exportations of common goods. Additionally, it is permitted to use the ATA Carnet as the sole method of temporary export to nations that have not ratified the ATA/Istanbul Conventions. Due to the fact that the carnet cannot be used in some countries (see list), operators will be required to complete all temporary importation formalities specified by destination state regulations when the goods arrive. The Community's douane territory is reimported using the portion designated for this purpose.
DocShipper info : You doubt the importer's accountability for the articles they publish. Docshipper has written an article on the subject; feel free to read it in further detail. You may also get in touch with us for further information.
Using the ATA carnet for transportation operations
If the countries being crossed are signatories to one of the conventions, the carnet ATA may be used as a transit document for goods that are temporarily being exported from the United States but temporarily need to travel through another country in order to reach their destination. It may also be used for goods being imported from other countries that are only traveling across the common border.
It will also be used as a transportation document:
- when the entry office is unable to determine whether all requirements for the temporary admission regime have been met.
- when the temporary admission regime is approved by a bureau of re-exportation rather than a bureau of departure.
Prior to any operation, the operator must present the carnet and the merchandise to the nearest customs office so that the merchandise can be identified and the carnet may be recorded. As a result, as operations progress, the owner of the carnet is required to present new merchandise and the carnet to the relevant customs authorities both at the entry and exit of a new territory.
These carnet take-charge formalities must typically be completed in active customs offices and during the times that these offices are open for business operations.
FAQ | What is an ATA Carnet and How Do You Use It ?
Can my brother and I share my ATA carnet, which I currently have, if it is possible ?
Only one owner must meet the requirements in order to use the temporary entrance or exporting regime. The holders are permitted to be represented physically by individuals wearing ATA carnets. A designated mandate can be replaced by a third party if it is unable to carry out a procurement
What is the ATA carnet's validity period ?
Your passport is valid for one year, or 12 months.
What is an ATA carnet used for ?
A carnet ATA is an international customs document that permits its owner to temporarily (up to one year) import goods without paying the usual duties and taxes, including TVA. In other words, this carnet eliminates the need for you to purchase a temporary importation guarantee.
DocShipper info: Do you like our article today? For your business interest, you may like the following useful articles :
DocShipper Advise : We help you with the entire sourcing process so don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
- Having trouble finding the appropriate product? Enjoy our sourcing services, we directly find the right suppliers for you!
- You don't trust your supplier? Ask our experts to do quality control to guarantee the condition of your goods!
- Do you need help with the logistics? Our international freight department supports you with door to door services!
- You don't want to handle distribution? Our 3PL department will handle the storage, order fulfillment, and last-mile delivery!
DocShipper | Procurement - Quality control - Logistics
Alibaba, Dhgate, made-in-china... Many know of websites to get supplies in Asia, but how many have come across a scam ?! It is very risky to pay an Asian supplier halfway around the world based only on promises! DocShipper offers you complete procurement services integrating logistics needs: purchasing, quality control, customization, licensing, transport...
Communication is important, which is why we strive to discuss in the most suitable way for you!